Sunday 11 May 2014

The 5 crazy hardest things we've ever done for SHINee

It sometimes hits me how hard it is to get information about being able to do things SHINee-related in Korea. I still don't know everything there is to know and it's been a loooooong learning process. From Music Shows to free concerts to SHINee World Concerts to fansigns to special events, endorsement promotions and the list goes on, there are a stack of things you can do but....they're all super difficult. So here's the absolute hardest thing's we've done as fangirls. I hope you find it interesting~!


Disclaimer: before anyone goes pointing fingers and saying: omgosh this girl be crazy, I'd like to put things in context. I have a full time job and I would never ever have done any of these things if it was going to affect my job negatively. I'm also a fully grown adult and I ALWAYS always do these events with at least 1 or 2 other friends who have my back. I really recommend if you want to do SHINee events or just fan events in Korea at all that you network like crazy and pick up a few awesome friends who can help you out. And some working Korean. Estimating whether it's a good idea to do an event is really important. There's definitely a point where you should call it a day and accept that even though you lined up for 24 hours in the freezing cold.... you're just not going to see SHINee today.

5. Musical Ticketing
The first SHINee musical I was ever blessed with seeing was Bonnie and Clyde this year. Unfortunately I was an idiot and didn't go see Onew in Rock of Ages because I was young and stupid and didn't know how to musical. I also JUST missed Key in Catch Me If You Can because I was graduating University. Dang it.

In any case, Musical ticketing is serious business yo. Ticketing generally opens on a Tuesday at 2 oclock and unfortunately M Musical (the company that runs the musicals) opened Gold Membership early last year and have decided since to stop allowing Gold Membership. Which means that people with existing membership get access to ticketing the day before normal peoples do. So....by the time you even crack the ticketing window open the first 3 rows at least are all gone. It...kind of sucks.

Musical ticketing can thus be a painful endless nightmare of constantly checking Interpark to see what's been released by other people if you want the best seat possible. That sometimes means waking up at obscure hours of the day to check if anyone's let their tickets go at 3 in the morning. It also sometimes means you've bought a ticket and then find a better ticket the next day and somehow have to find someone who wants your previous ticket because if you refund it you'll lose money on fees OTL. 

The first run of Bonnie and Clyde was, for this reason, pure hell for me. I've since learnt that swapping tickets and selling them on like a crazy person is a bad idea and I shouldn't do it for my own personal peace of mind. So basically; when you're buying musical tickets try and swing the best seat you can and stick with your ticket. It hurts your wallet and your soul less.

4.The 3 super insane Everybody recordings that ruined our lives
I've done a few SHINee promo periods and I don't know; some may disagree but Everybody was a pretty tough one. Maybe because I personally went harder for Everybody than I did for WSS or Dream Girl or Lucifer (I was in the country for these promo periods)

Number 1 was the late night SBS pre-recording from hell. It was meant to be a Thursday night pre-recording for Everybody on SHINee's comeback week. SHINee would record Symptoms on Sunday and Everybody on Thursday night preceding to save time. Only for some bizarre reason SBS was running seriously behind on getting SHINee's set together. I don't know what happened exactly but a recording that was meant to be over by 10pm at the latest instead didn't start until 3ish in the morning. Around 900 people initially showed up and by midnight possibly 600 remained. The recording didn't finish until just before 5 am. Maybe I'll go into detail on this later if anyone's interested, but let's just say we didn't expect to be going to work/classes the next day with only about and hour and a half of sleep ^.^;;;

Number 2 was the MBC post-recording that occurred at the disgusting time of about 2 in the morning. MBC had to record the entire Music Core show for the next week in one night for unknown reasons and so we reported to MBC at about 8pm at night and waited. and waited...and waited. SHAWols were eventually moved into the studio where we proceeded to watch every. single. artist...except SHINee. SHINee had the dubious pleasure of recording last and so we sat through every other artist and then...all the other fan groups were allowed to leave and we were moved to the front and finally. finally!!! got to see SHINee. It was probably made all the more glorious that we were rewarded with their glowing beautiful faces after such a long wait.

Number 3 I didn't actually go to. I had to chose between doing the Everybody post-recording for MBC or the Symptoms recording at SBS and I couldn't make it back to MBC studio's in time for the check in. But SHINee pre recorded something like 2 weeks worth of Music Core appearances in one go and this is also where fans got first wind of Onew's neck injury. I remember messaging friends in the recording who were fan accounting the situation. I think a crazy rumour like Onew collapsing on stage was going around. In reality SHINee had performed Everybody probably about 15 times that day and Onew's neck and arms were really feeling it. He had to rest a little, which is completely understandable, but jumped straight back into the recording. This recording went until about 10 o'clock that night so the timing wasn't too bad but I can only imagine the worry fans felt for Onew inside that studio; fans worry a lot I've noticed ^.^;;;. Glad to have him back in top condition <3.

3. SM the Ballad Showcase
Going to start this off by saying: SM you suck. I don't often agree with people heaping blame on SM for every little thing but there really was a huge management f**k up regarding ticketing for SM the Ballad's showcase. Tickets for the showcase were free but were being distributed from SM's 3 Everysing locations across Seoul. How many tickets were available was completely unannounced and EVERYBODY wanted tickets. SM the Ballad consists of Jonghyun but also Taeyeon, Chen, Zhoumi, Krystal, Changmin, Zhang Liyin and Yesung. So SHAWols, EXO fans, DBSK fans, SNSD fans, f(x) fans ALL wanted tickets. The tickets were given out at opening time Sunday morning and I heard from a friend that a line was already forming on Saturday night. I went to check it out, not really intending on queuing overnight; it was freezing cold, raining a bit and had been snowing. I wasn't dressed appropriately either. Somehow I spotted some friends and ended up convincing myself to wait it out overnight. I'm still not sure what possessed me other than.....Jonghyun is perfect and I have a really big thing for Zhoumi. We froze our butts off overnight and by opening the next day there were probably at least 500 people waiting at the Myeong Dong location. They began giving out tickets at 10 o'clock...to the first 130ish people. Completely ridiculous. 

The Apgujeong location began distributing at 10:30 and gave out a similar amount despite there being near 1000 people lined up there (or so I hear). The last location to open was the Pop-up store (or EXOsing as we like to call it) . At 11:00 there was definitely over 1000 people waiting on location, many of whom had slept overnight in the freezing cold, and only 120ish people got tickets. People had assumed that there would be 800 tickets as that was near the venues capacity. SHINee's Dream Girl showcase early last year had allowed for over 1000 people. Yet SM the Ballad only let in 300ish people for about 5 fandoms. And despite knowing that lots of young, silly fangirls would sleep on the street for tickets, SM didn't announce how many tickets would be available. I'm still really pissed that so many people went through with sleeping out on the street and SM didn't have a care for all the middle school kids that stayed out overnight because they desperately wanted a ticket. It's one thing a fully consenting adult deciding to do crazy things but I feel like someone needs to be held accountable for the amount of kids that engage in this crazyness.

2. SHINee World Concert 3 ticketing
SHINee are hugely popular. I bet we all know this by now. People flew in from all over the world to see SHINee World Concert 3. And it definitely showed when time came for ticketing because holy crap was it hard to get your hands on a ticket, ANY ticket. Not even a good ticket, just A SINGLE ticket was a nightmare to get. Me and friends had plenty of all night Internet cafe/PC bang hang outs to try and nab tickets that were re released at odd hours in the morning. Now if all else fails when ticketing, there are still tickets for sale on the day of the concert. We didn't have much luck getting tickets online so decided to try our luck in day of ticketing. We were going to be at the venue bright and early the day of the concert and get in line and hopefully nab a better ticket. One problem: some crazy annoying person decided to start lining up on Friday. And when one person starts lining up, everybody needs to join the line. SO we had to scramble out to the concert location and line up....overnight....again. With about 200 others perhaps? More showed up in the morning at which point the line wound around the park and dissapeared into the distance. It was still nothing like the merch line though. That was incredible!

It was freezing cold. Actually way colder than lining up for SM the Ballad. SHINee World Concert was unfortunately around the same time Seoul experienced it's final cold snap before Spring bloomed. It snowed a bit but mostly it was just really cold. The only upside was that we had SHINee's rehearsal to serenade us through a few hours of the night. And then Jonghyun's radio show. As tiring as staying the night was though it ended up being a bit like a SHAWol camp out, with lots of yummy food and good company. Not the most ideal location but it was a park and there were lots of convenience stores around.....I guess it could have been worse?

1. Gangnam festival aka SHINee's Everybody Comeback Showcase.

I could write pages about this event and maybe I will later. We still think back on this event and feel like crying (from both joy and pain). It was the longest weekend of my life and I can't go near the location without shuddering and feeling a little nauseas to this day. Unfortunately Gangnam Festival was an un-ticketed free event that not only SHINee were performing at, but also EXO, Infinite and Girl's Day....SHINee, Infinite and EXO have some of the largest fandoms in Korea and so EVERYBODY and their mum wanted to go to this event. And because there was a public holiday Thursday before the concert, someone decided to start a list on Wednesday night.

In Korea when you go to fan events there is always a written list made by some brave, unfortunate fan. Basically the first person on location starts a list. Everyone after them adds their name to the list. Faster you get to the location, higher up the list you are. The List for Gangnam Festival started on Wednesday night and to keep your number in line you had to make it to ALL the check ins or roll calls until the day of the event. There were Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night and then Saturday morning check ins. We had to go to all of them and then, because of some arguing and craziness Saturday morning between fans, the event management told us we had to sit tight and hold our spot if we wanted to keep it. So from about 8 oclock Saturday morning until 8 oclock Sunday night we sat and held our spot. SHINee didn't come out until 8 or 9pm on Sunday. We got to see a dry rehearsal briefly on Sunday. It was completely necessary as well because by Saturday night 1000's of people were lined up. Literally THOUSANDS. 

Ordinarily I'm sure none of us would have gone through with this disgusting insanity. I mean, sitting on a street in Gangnam overnight is completely crazy. However, this was SHINee's comeback showcase. It was free. We'd NEVER seen or heard either Everybody or Symptoms at that point. And nearly every SHAWol I know was there in that line. So as tiring and horrible as lining up was, it was the most memorable SHINee event I've ever been to. I made some amazing friends that weekend and had a really good time. Again, it was like a giant SHAWol camp out with lots of coffee and sharing blankets and taking turns charging each other's phone batteries and taking a nap in nearby cafe's.

I still have a really vivid memory of every SHAWol in that audience holding their breathe as SHINee began springing to their feet at the beginning of Everybody. I think I'll always remember nearly everyone completely losing their shit when SHINee picked Taemin up and THREW him. I can remember people standing around me pulling their hair out and actually looking like they were having a mental breakdown. I can't even begin to describe the noise when SHINee busted out that shuffling sideways move and I think someone actually fainted when they made that airplane for the first time. It was intense shit.....maybe because most of us hadn't slept properly in over 36 hours nor had a decent meal or drink or ....shower o.O But it was literally like reaching some untouchable nirvana; the closest thing to heaven on earth I might ever find. 

Just as a wrap-up; this whole post seems like a bunch of whining but I'd like to finish it off by saying I don't regret a second of it. We got some really crazy awesome experiences. So... question: would you sleep out overnight for SHINee? Or are we completely nuts?

9 comments:

  1. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THIS AWESOME POST I read every single word of this and its so damn interesting!! :-) LOL

    I've once queued overnight with my friend for SWC2 and it was pretty bad too. Nothing like the Everybody comeback showcase/that is so hardcore/ but for ours the weather was so freaking warm and we got all sweaty and bleh before the concert even started. The fans around us weren't the greatest during the concert too and we hadn't been able to sleep AT ALL for about 30 hours that time/the day before we went to their airport arrival even/..

    I must say no matter how horrible the experiences was it is all still so memorable and the moment when SHINee appeared, it all became SO WORTH IT. I definitely don't regret a second of the queuing and things like that too.

    Its so cool hearing your experiences and I really hope to be able to have a life like that too, a fangirl life while working in Korea hehe! XD
    Its really seems like a good way for me to live for a few years LOL I will really consider bout it

    Thanks for this post Min!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide whether freezing cold weather or heat is worse. I mean sweating and suffering in the heat definitely sucks, I did that in Singapore once lining up for standing. But I think there's a very really danger of getting sick if you line up in the cold. So even though I'd prefer to be cold, I think it's better for health to be hot OTL.

      I thought a lot of people would find this topic boring so I'm glad you enjoyed it~ Thank you~~

      Delete
    2. Yeah thats true! It seems like it'd be really bad freezing in the cold and you have the experience first hand! XD

      Oh wow you even went to the one in singapore?! The one I mentioned above is one of the experience I had for sg's concert! I queued for the moshpit too lol! Well don't remember seeing you haha

      Nah it is super interesting! I'm used to reading long posts and books so I don't mind,
      at all HAHA :P

      Thanks for replying too lol ^^

      Delete
  2. Wow...I've only been to Korea once, and it was for new years during gayo daejun week, so obviously I didn't get to see SHINee (despite my best efforts). But compared to that, it seems like Jshawols have it way easier. I was in Japan for 2 weeks, and managed to get a ticket to their arena tour without even trying. All I had to do was become a member and enter the ticket lottery.

    What I don't get is how SM can have SHINee do a multiple arena tour in Japan, but has them do 2 nights in Korea every two years. It's not like they'd have trouble filling seats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1000% agreed. Friends and I have had conversations about this. I don't know what SMs angle is having so few Korean concerts. I can only assume theyre trying to keep things novel. In any case its ridiculous and annoying OTL. Japan has had a million arena tours so its made ticketing for SWC in Seoul completely insane ㅠ.ㅠ

      Delete
  3. I love your twitter, and I love your blog posts so far^^ I remember seeing all the people lined up for tickets outside swc3 and I was amazed. So hardcore! I lucked out and was able to get tickets on gmarket by SOME miracle. I didn't realize onsite ticketing was even an option so I just checked gmarket every 5 minutes for weeks ㅋㅋ Anyway, I enjoyed reading this post~~I live in Daegu so there are a lot of events I can't make it too, and I'm always grateful for all your accounts of your shawol adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [First: My english is not perfect, but i'll try my best to write a good commet :)] OMG this was so interesting!, my answer: Yes. Beacuse I already did it.... LOL, your experience on the Everybody showcase really remind me of my experience going to the SHINee World Concert in Chile... My story is LONG. Like really Long. But in brief, I'm from Bolivia, and when we were going to the concert in Chile, it was a nightmare... we went on bus, cuz we got just money for that T_T ... the problem was that just two days before we leave, there was two earthquakes in Chile... and tsumani alert in conquence... so, we have to take an alternative route (I mean, we already have the money, and the tickets for VIP area in our hands, we HAVE TO GO] ... and the travel was looong, like three days on bus, diferente buses, we get there by the same day of the concert, and in line, waiting for the doors to open, it was FREEZING COLD... well, the concert was the best experience of my life, hands down. It was worth it, even if we didn't eat well those days, or sleep well... Just like you, I don't regret nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm using the translator so sorry if I write something wrong. the curious thing is that SHINee to state once in my country, and I've done things I never imagined would be made in Korea ... I see that if they do, I had the opportunity to train for both tickets to the day concert ... waiting more than 48 hrs .. me and my best friend we risk being the people wearing the coveted list of names of people who were waiting, as to my experience I met beautiful people and new friends also had nothing pleasant experiences with others, if you ever go to an event in Korea they hope to find there ^. ^ ... I loved your post and would like to share some experiences and questions that arose hopefully I can keep in touch Greetings from Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  6. Insane but want to try it in Korea someday or Japan.
    But i experienced few their event here and no different and WAIT!! HERE ALWAYS HOT!!

    ReplyDelete