Sunday 18 May 2014

A summary of Bonnie and Clyde as acted by Key - Part 2

I left off the last part with Key's epic fight with his brother and Bonnie. Now we're coming up on some of the most exciting parts of the musical!

Here comes the scene were Key begins robbing random members of the audience! The church congregation in the musical sing a track called 'God's Arms Are Always Open'. Now while this song is being sung, Key sneaks into the theatre via a side door at the front of the room. The first time he did this I had absolutely no idea he was going to do it. In the first run of the musical back in 2013 Key would just point his gun into the audience and make demands from an invisible victim. In the new revamped version in 2014, Key gave us all the shock of our lives when instead of interupting the song and appearing on stage, he emerged in the audience. At Key's first show I was sitting on the end of the second row on the left side. Key appeared on the right side of the theatre, a spotlight on him. People completely screamed. I think maybe a few people already knew he was going to come out, considering the show had already been performed with other actor's playing Clyde, but a good deal of us had no idea Key was going to come out and interact with the crowd. I watched him in later shows and he usually peeks his head in and surveys the crowd, trying to find someone to rob ahead of time. He had a small prop hand gun, which he pointed at the girl on the aisle seat after dashing into the theatre. 

Key: Yah, put your hands up! Put your hands up! Hand over your necklace/bracelets/etc! [The item he steals is always different and everyone usually laughs a lot at this point] Yah why are you smiling?! Ah, It's your first time seeing someone this handsome huh?

At this point a police whistle sounds and the chorus on stage begin singing again. Meanwhile Key is running across the front of the theatre in the dark and hiding behind the stairs, trying to scope out his next victim. On the first night I was lucky enough to be said victim. Me and my friend were pretty shell-shocked that Key was standing so close to us and he began making his way into the crowd. At the time he was frantically scanning the audience, probably trying to find someone he could say something witty too. He doesn't always say the same lines, sometimes he adlibs and that's what he did when he stopped on me that night. To be honest I was sure he was going to go to the girl behind me; it didn't even occur to me that he might stop on my seat. Let me tell you though, it's a miracle I'm even sitting here typing right now.

I think it was the most terrifying 20 seconds of my life. Key was holding a gun. Key was wearing a white shirt tucked into high-waisted pants and a page boy cap with suspenders, holding a gun. Key was wearing gorgeous grey contacts and the most amazing guyliner I have ever seen, holding a gun. And then he pointed the gun at me. So, I know it was a prop, but holy shit it was a gun and it was Key so I don't even know how I functioned let alone Korean-ed. 

Key: Yah, put your hands up! Put them up now! [I put my hands straight up in the air. I think I was kind of hiding between my arms to be honest] [Key paused and glanced around the gun at my face] Do you...by any chance understand Korean? 
Min: Yes, yes, I can [Only my voice was kind of stuck in my throat and I was shaking so hard that I also just shook my head frantically because he probably couldn't hear me at all. Everyone was giggling at this point. Key's pretty legendary because he kept a straight face even though my facial expression was probably totally ridiculous.] 

At this point Key was glancing all over me, trying to find something he could steal from me. I didn't really have anything that I could hand to him easily except for some colourful bracelets around my wrists. And my SHINee World Concert 3 wristband, conveniently in SHINee's colour. 

Key: Yah, give me your bracelet then! Quickly!

I frantically fumbled and tore my SHINee bracelet off and handed it to Key and he leaned in close and suddenly smirked and I actually still had my hands up so I think I was cowering behind my arms a little because his glow was just too bright. My friend was sitting next to me and was frantically hitting me on the arm. She was the opposite to me because I was frozen in shock. He winked and made this cocky little clicking sound and delivered the words I never thought I'd hear directed at me in my entire life, let alone from Kim Kibum.

Key: You listen really well. Next time, I'll steal your lips~

Please....no one wake me from this dream. Key threw me my bracelet back as soon as the lights went down and scrambled back on stage.

Needless to say I didn't actually pay any attention whatsoever to the rest of the first half. I was clutching at my face, trying to breathe and shaking to pieces. People around me were glancing at me because I probably looked like I was going to have a heart attack. Might not sound like that big of a deal but when your poor fragile heart is completely unprepared, it's quite traumatic. And obviously completely magically brilliant.

It's worth mentioning that since the first night some girls who are sitting in the general area will bring giant lollipops or fake crowns. Key usually picks those items up and yells: 'Yah what the hell is this?' or 'Is this all you have on you?'. The last night I went he plucked someone's glasses straight off their face and put them on himself. They were rectangular and completely adorable OTL.

So following Key robbing his fangirls, he attempts to rob a store on stage and the police appear and arrest him before he's able. The police surround Key and Ted, a police officer with a one sided crush on Bonnie, punches Key in the face before hand cuffing him (mmmm Key in handcuffs) and leading him off stage. I should stress that at no point does anyone actually really hit Key in the musical. That would be one of the tiny criticisms I have for the show: there are a lot of punching scenes and slaps and not one of them comes off as real. Sometimes actors will reel back from a blow that's still a foot off from landing so with the exception of only a few instances, the fight scenes always look completely fake. 

Bonnie and Blanche sing a song about how much they love Clyde and Buck respectively before we find ourselves in a court where Key and his brother Buck are being put on trial again. I always love watching Key's face really carefully at this point. First the judge tells them that because Buck willingly turned himself into the police he's being released into the custody of his wife, Blanche. Key's face goes from really serious looking to happy and relieved for his brother. The judge goes on to explain that because Key broke from prison, evaded police capture AND robbed a couple more banks, he would be serving 16 years in prison. Key's face very quickly goes from happy to devastated and he looks like a broken man as the prison officers begin manhandling him off stage. Clyde's mother is crying and screaming, trying to get to her son and when Key struggles to try and talk to her a prison officer punches him and they throw him to the ground and begin kicking him. This is kind of horrible the first time you see it because Key's jerking and yelling while people kick him and even though it's acting no one wants to see their baby get the shit kicked out of him. Of course Clyde's family are suitably horrified and Bonnie's crying and so the head detective calls them off and has Key dragged off stage but not before he manages to say: I'm sorry mum. Bonnie chases him a little, yelling: 'I love you Clyde' and breaking poor officer Ted's heart, Key romantically whispering 'I love you too, Bonnie' as he's dragged to prison.

Key is thrown into a prison cell located on the left of the stage. While in prison he spends a lot of time sitting on the floor and looking pissed off and bored because....well he's in prison I guess ^.^ Bonnie comes to visit him, and the two of them make out through the prison bars and fondle each other's faces and fix each other's hair and chat and giggle, gazing silently into each other's eyes while Ted begins singing this amazing track. I love this song so much. It starts off with Ted singing about all the reasons Bonnie could be happier and better off with him, over 'that garbage Clyde'. My favourite part is when Key begin's singing in the Korean version. 

Key: You could meet a good guy, 
the kind of guy who could give you all the things you want, 
someone like that would suit you but
I love you [here Key begins harmonizing with Ted and it just sounds so beautiful guys ;;.;;]
In this world there is no one who loves you like I do

The guy who plays Ted in the English version is no where near as amazing as the Korean versions of Ted, possibly because whoever was in charge of the English version insisted on Texan accents while singing >.> It's a beautiful song though, so check it out.



The next scene poor Key finds himself in is kind of violent and graphic. So I guess if you don't want to read about Key getting the pulp beaten out of him, skip down a few paragraphs. Key is brought into the communal prison area and left alone with a small gang of prisoners. One throws an American football at him and Key, immediately pissed off, throws it back at the guy.

Key: What's the meaning of this?!
Random disgusting old guy: It's been awhile blah blah blah blah 

At this point this really greasy disgusting old guy is swaggering closer to Key and plants a hand on his upper thigh, stroking his hand upwards and then, honest to god, squeezing Key's buttock and massaging. Key reacts fairly quickly, grabbing the disgusting leech's hand and twisting it around at an awkward angle so it hurts.

Key: Yah! Don't touch me!!
Random disgusting old guy: Ah it hurts, it hurts. Ah it hurts so good, make it hurt more!

...Gross right? 

So the gang of them begin beating the stuffing out of Key, throwing him to the ground and kicking him in the stomach and back, grabbing him by his hair and smashing him in the nose, all while Key is crying out in pain, grunting and desperately yelling for help from the prison officers. The officer eventually emerges as Key is lying curled up on the ground, whimpering in pain. One of the prisoners merely hands him a pack of cigarettes and they all disappear off stage, but not before the officer spits on Key's prone body, laughing at him as he coughs up blood and tries to breathe.

This is another scene Key proves what an amazing actor he is. He weakly rolls off his back, on his hands and knees in the middle of the stage, blood dripping down his face. It looks like it's coming from his nose and it usually splashes across his cheeks and lips. There's this crazed look in his eyes and as he's peeling himself off the floor he'll kneel with his forehead pressed to the ground, laughing manically and panting. The next song is one of the most powerful in the musical. The song is really dark and gritty and Key is convincingly amazing at portraying a man who's almost completely pushed over the edge. 


Jeremy Jordan does an amazing rendition of the song in English too.

There's a break in the song where Bonnie appears and is shocked and horrified to find Key bloodied and injured. She calls for help and the prison officer lies and tells her Key has fallen down the stairs. She calls his bull shit and is kicked out but not before Key tell her to retrieve something for him from his parents home/business.

Key begins singing again and the tone of the song changes; He's decided he won't let the disgusting old guy touch him again. As a prison officer leads him to the showers, Key shoves a metal pipe up his sleeve and sings:

Heaven is done with; [so now] I'll show you hell.

The disgusting old dude, meanwhile, is masturbating in the shower. He emerges in nothing but a towel and crudely mimes that Key should follow him deeper into the showers and >.> ....service him with his mouth, so to speak. Key follows, beatting him to death off stage with his pipe. 

Meanwhile Bonnie has retrieved a gun from his parents home and brings it to prison disguised as a bible. The tone of the song changes significantly at this point, Key takes the bible when an officer hands it to him and hits him over the head, retrieving the gun from inside and fleeing prison. Him and Bonnie unite and Key sings that he's going to become a hero, steal enough money to support them and make a career for her as an actress in Hollywood. 

There's a pretty epic scene where everyone reacts at the same time to Key busting from prison and Bonnie fleeing with him. Bonnie's mom is distraught, Ted is pissed that Key ran off with his girl, all the officers and detectives are swearing they'll catch him, Key's parents are freaking out and Key's brother is ecstatic. The theme for the musical is Key's character is completely determined to be seen as a hero; infamous, his name going down in history for all his deeds. Only Bonnie and Buck seem to understand his goal's. 

To finish off the second half, Key and Bonnie emerge all suited up and driving a stolen car, fleeing to become big heroes.



Just imagine Key singing this. Then lie your head down on a flat surface and try not to cry too hard at how amazing it is. 

And that's it for part 2 I think.

I completely forgot last time but I'd intended to write a little something about fan reactions to Key's kissing scenes. The reactions have slowly begun to warm up, but the reception for Key's kissing scenes were frosty to say the least. Initially any scene that ended with kissing or heavily featured kissing would get less applause. The first time the musical ran last year people would gasp out loud and I sometimes I heard someone whispering: NO with a quivering voice. Musicals are pretty chill and cheering and loud reactions are frowned upon. We have to behave ourselves because there are non-fans in the audience and they've been known to get annoyed at seeing musicals featuring idols because fans can sometimes be unruly I guess? I've always felt like SHAWols have behaved themselves pretty well though. That said the girls around me at the first show of Bonnie and Clyde were fisting their hands, gripping the arm rests and biting their lips pretty hard kekeke.

As for the bed scene, I don't know that many people like this scene. Personally I love it. I'll go into more details in the next part but I really like watching Key with a girl. A lot of fans don't agree with me at all. That said out of all the English speaking fans I've talked to, most people really like the steamy bed scene and the kissing. I can't say Key's bed scene is a topic of conversation most of the time when I'm chatting with Key fans but when I was doing Delicious promotions, I brought it up with a few girls and most of them just pulled a face and changed the subject. Which is pretty classy of them in my opinion. They don't like it but they don't publicly talk shit about it for Key's sake. 

That said we need to be wary of generalizing fans: Key fans don't all share a brain and responses. Some are going to love it and some will hate it and then there will be people who just don't really care either way. It's the nature of things~

What song would you guys kill to see Key sing live? If you've seen the musical; what's your favourite song of the first half? I'd love to know~

5 comments:

  1. OMG thank you for posring this! :D I've always wondered how the story went. and wow you are so lucky with all that gun pointing and robbing. XD man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky to be alive OTL I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest ^.^;;;

      Delete
  2. Very interesting ! Cant wait for your next post ~ I'll be waiting ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taking a bit of time to get into the swing of writing it ^.^ Sorry for the wait OTL

      Delete
  3. EONNI CONTINUE................!!!!!!!!
    THIS WAAAYYY TOO INTERESTING FOR FANS LIKE ME WHO COULDNT WATCH HIS MUSICAL!! LIKE SERIOUSLY I REALLY WANT TO COME TO ONE OF HIS MUSICAL!!!


    EONIIIIIIIIIIIII.......I.WILL.KILL.MY.SELF.JUST.WANT.TO.BE.IN.YOUR.SPOT.WHEN.KEY CAME.TO.AUDIENCE.PLACE.AND.SHOT.HIS.GUN.STRAIGHT.IN.FRONT.OF.MY.SELF.

    I CANT BREATHE!!! LIKE SERIOUSLY HE SAID "YOU LISTEN REALLY WELL. NEXT TIME I'LL STEAL YOUR LIPS~". GOD THIS IS BEYOND HEAVEN FOR A FANGIRL AND TORTURED JUST TO BEING TO HEAVEN!!!!!!!!


    OH.MY.GOD.I.AM.SORRY.SO.SORRY.IM.FREAK.OUT.HERE.!!!NO.IAM.PROBABLY.NUTS!!

    KEEP UP UR STORY~

    P.S: i agree w/ you. I love key kissed girl. And from fancam i love his bed scene and bath scene so much~ call me crazy¡!! But i love those scened!!! ㅋㅋㅋ

    ReplyDelete