Tuesday 13 January 2015

Jonghyun Base Fan Meeting

As most people reading would probably know Jonghyun debuted with his solo album Base this week and Sunday was his first Inkigayo stage as well as his first solo fanmeeting.


For anyone who didn't read the post I wrote about Taemin's solo debut and fan meeting, fan meetings are generally held after a recording is finished for the day at a park near the venue. In this case we had a pretty rough day. Jonghyun's recording was 6am and because of the amount of people sure to come seeing as the event is Sunday and probably one of the more pleasant music studios, we had to check in at 3:30am to sort everyone into their lined based on fanclub membership and arrival time. We actually had a check in the night before at 8pm which means that we had to be at the venue to do a roll call, go home and get to bed at about 10 and sleep til 2:15 so we could get up, get dressed and get to the venue. 

Luckily the venue wasn't toooo cold outside despite it being January and most fans were smart enough to wear lots of layer. After a looooot of waiting around we were able to go into the studio at just after 6 and the set, as you've all seen by now, was amazing. When Jonghyun came out the energy was completely amazing from fans. Most of us hadn't gotten more than 3 or 4 hours of sleep, some even less, and it was cold and really really early but just having Jonghyun in the room charged the energy. 

I think the important thing about recordings that I really respect about SHINee is they take the recordings and their work very seriously.  Time is money and Jonghyun works hard to get his recording done perfectly which requires a lot of concentration and dedication. Watching him work is a wonderful, humbling experience because he really gives everything he does 110% effort. 

So the reason I say this is because the difference between Jonghyun at the Inkigayo recording in the morning and later in the day at the fan meeting was phenomenal. Because Jonghyun works his butt of in the recording. He doesn't play around. He acknowledges the fans but you can see his attention is focused on keeping in the zone, nailing his performance and showing the best side he can to the camera. Being in the room with him recording was really different to most recordings I've ever been to because he manages to control the audience with just his presence. There was screaming when he entered and left the room but a dead silence fell over the room when he stopped in front of the microphone and took his starting position. I've never head fangirls that quiet.

There were a lot of cute moments amongst all of Jonghyun's intensity. Despite his rock star chic vibe he still took time to tease Iron who was as awkward as ever. I don' think the little but pats or half hand holding and bro back pats will ever not make my heart tremble; they're really cute. He answered a few questions called to him by fans at the beginning and asked if we'd eaten. In true fashion all SHAWols immediately said they hadn't eaten anything to gain some sympathy from 'Jonghyun Oppa' but I'm pretty sure he's down with their game. Every recording I've ever been to where SHINee ask SHAWols whether they ate or not, the girls always deny they have to hear a kind or worried word from them. Sometimes SHAWols are just as cute as SHINee are.

Also I should mention that Iron is clearly very out of his depth in these recordings. He's very attentive and concentrated and seems to listen to instructions well but I caught him kind of just....gazing into the hundreds of fans that had shown up to see Jonghyun at 6 in the morning on a Sunday and looking kind of overwhelmed. Or maybe awed? Who knows what was going through his head, but in any case these promotions are probably proving to be very interesting for him and I think Jonghyun's given him an incredible opportunity to learn. He seems very sweet.

I was really pleasantly surprised when the SM Supporter fan staff began moving among the SHAWols and asking whether we wanted Americano, Yuja tea, Jasmine tea or Hot chocolate. Before the recording I had actually seen a coffee van arrive and thought it was a small business preparing to sell to fans, but turns out the coffee van was prepared by Jonghyun as a thank you to fans for coming out so early to support him.

I really cant express how touching this kind of gesture is from an idol. Its really easy to go to all these recordings and cheer and exist as a nameless face in the crowd of SHINee fans, forgetting that because they're sincere and humble and lovely they do actually appreciate and are thankful for all the support fans give them. Its easy to assign yourself a role as just another fan of someone who has thousands of people who love them just as much as you do. It's when Jonghyun  does something as thoughtful as having coffee brought to his fans that you feel like your hours of lining up and waiting and not sleeping are appreciated. Jonghyun doesn't have to have coffee brought to us but the fact that he chose to is really...so so touching. Really beyond words.

Unfortunately since there were so many of us it took a really long time to get our hands on the coffee itself ^.^;; but we got there in the end! You better believe I was willing to stand outside in the cold some more to get my hands on some warm coffee compliments of caring Kim Jonghyun. I chose to have an Americano and we also got a chocopie (a marshmallow cake sandwich with chocolate coating). After that it was just a matter of waiting...a lot. 

We had to meet back up at 2 oclock at the park near Inkigayo to reline up by our assigned numbers. This was because Jonghyun wasn't done for the day recording. He had to still do the live show where he performed Deja-boo. While waiting in the park we actually sat around and watched the show on our phones which is always a cute experience. When Jonghyuns performance started the fans would all scream or squeal or freak out together whenever a particularly gorgeous shot of Jonghyun appeared on screen. The fanstaff started trying to get us seated in rows while Jonghyun was performing.  The poor girls needed to organize us before Jonghyun came but SHAWols cutely asked for more time so they could finish watching the performances. 

By the time we'd all gotten settled into neat rows sitting down we didn't have to wait for Jonghyun long. When his white van rolled into sight at the road SHAWols cheered and waved their Jonghyun balloons around and just..I don't know how to put into words moments like this. It's something that I'm sure outsiders walking through the park were very perplexed and weirded out by, but we were all just so happy. So happy that events like this are organized, so happy to be in his presence and have him talk to us like we're important to him in some tiny way and needed. I don't think he was even talking to just the 300-400 fans that were sitting in that park either. I always feel apart of something bigger and warm and special when I'm sitting in that crowd.

Jonghyun got out of the van and he was wearing casual pants and a neat sweater, the manager waiting with a large warm coat and some little heat packs for his hands. I was really thankful to the manager in that moment even though he was just doing his job: it's like the feeling that you want to crowd and fuss over an extremely precious child when they go outside in the cold. Only a precious child who's intelligent and gorgeous and inspirational and well-spoken beyond anything you could ever hope for yourself ^.^;;;

Maybe Jonghyun was really nervous coming down the long set of stairs as fans sat at the bottom, cheering and calling his name but it didn't show on his face. He was very zen throughout the whole fan meeting. I remember back during Everybody and SM the Ballad whenever I saw Jonghyun I felt a little worried and sad because the schedule was so busy and he didn't seem in the best of health during SM the Ballad. But the energy coming from him during these promotions is very different and so peaceful and content. The day before this fan meeting, the preview footage of Jonghyun's  4 Things episode had dropped and I think most people are aware that the interview is set to be pretty emotional. Some of the things Jonghyun mentioned about his loneliness as an idol touched a lot of fans and so seeing him look so happy really was a gift.

Also I should mention that it was really really cute seeing Jonghyun dressed down in casual clothes, bobbing down the stairs in his big coat and smiling so softly with his curly hair. Seeing him all weekend being sexy and intense on stage didn't prepare us very well for the soft, tender, masculine aura he carried at the fan meeting. He made it on stage and didn't miss a beat, picking up the mic and immediately greeting fans only to struggle with turning the mic on for a few moments. A fan staff came to his rescue and he greeted the fans, once again receiving a lot of cheering and screaming, but very quickly the fans would quiet, waiting anxiously for what he had to say. We hung off his every word, mostly unwilling to call out too much lest he try and say something and we missed it.

I can't translate too much that was said, because even though I understood a lot I don't think I could ever willingly put into English the manner in which he speaks. He's very well-spoken. So well-spoken. He doesn't stutter or lose what he's talking about or become flustered by the fans questions. I've read a few translations of things that were said at the fan meeting and while they're accurate to my ears, I just know I could never give wings to some of the gorgeous things he said because of my own limited language ability at this time. I've come a long way from the years I didn't understand a word of what was going on, but I'm still a long way away from being a translator of any skill. 

Jonghyun mentioned almost immediately that he wanted the fan meeting to be comfortable. He tried sitting down but realized that the fans at the back couldn't see him if he did that so he stood again, even though he'd been dancing and performing all day. The main message he repeated at the meeting was just how thankful he was. To us as fans and SHINee and people that had made it possible for his album to come about. I was amazed and inspired when he told us that he'd put the album together in only 4 months, thanks to the years and years he's been writing and honing his skill as a musician. It was incredibly inspiring to see how much he'd achieved, how many thoughts and explanations he has for his music and how everything was considered meticulously and passionately. I was one of the very very very fortunate fans who was able to go to the Base Showcase and I couldn't help but feeling emotional and undeserving when he thanked the fans who had been able to attend because he felt the showcase is what helped him move confidently forward into music show recordings despite his nervousness. He talked about SHINee and the members and his hope that his album will be a platform to SHINee's group album later in the year. He chose his favourite lyrics from all his songs and when asked about Mono-drama skillfully changed the topic because he wanted the fan meeting to be fun and comfortable and didn't want to talk about sad things. 

Jonghyun was completely unbothered by the people moving around the park, but made cute comments when a dog barked or a small kid made a lot of noise without blinking. He also very seriously handed fans sincere life advice when he was explaining Love Belt, talking about the need for us to protect ourselve against pain in life and love. Love Belt like a seat belt to protect us in life. 

Unfortunately the meeting had to be very quick as Jonghyun needed to be at a different schedule. At Taemin's fanmeet fans were able to go up and hold his hands and exchange greetings and say quick words of congratulations or messages. Honestly I didn't even think to hope the same thing would happen at Jonghyun's meeting. Obviously it's a nice thought and something that you hope for, but sometimes the nature of the schedule doesn't allow it and there wasn't a small number of fans there. So when Jonghyun finished taking questions and looked over at the fan staff saying something like: should we shake hands/touch hands now? everyone freaked and immediately dove for their make up bags, hand sanitizer and hand warmers. It would have been very cute and hilarious if I wasn't already doing the same thing  ^.^ I really pity the first line of girls who had to go up immediately because they would have had very very little time to prepare, even if they might have suspected it would happen.

The SM fan staff who manage SHINee's fan meetings and recordings can be really really cute. They moved through the crowd reminding fans to smile, don't cry. One of my favourite girls told us we should keep the tears for at home this time and jokingly reminded everyone to fix their make up quickly and look pretty for Jonghyun. 

Security was moving people through very very quickly at this fan meeting. Jonghyun really needed to keep his schedule and so fans couldn't linger too long holding Jonghyun's hands and chatting even if they wanted to. I felt sorry for the few male fan boys that came for the event because everyone would cheer and clap when they went up and I think they were already very happy, but embarrassed about the situation. Jolnghyun's expression didn't change the whole time he was holding hands with fans. He didn't look tired or rushed at any point; he was very pointedly sincere and fond looking throughout the whole event. He looked happy and, I know I keep saying this but, content. He replied when fans said things to him or laughed when they said something funny. If you had nothing to say to him he just gazed into your eyes and held your hands. I don't think it should be mistaken for romantic though; his entire manner was just sincerely thankful and everything he said at the fan meet included fans as a part of his journey. He was thanking us for supporting him and accepting us into his journey.

To begin with he was taking a fans hand between both of his but the security began rushing the fans and so instead he would hold his hands out, palms up and grip our hands in his, squeezing gently. Some fans held their hands up and he would link his fingers with hers. In my case I was very very happy and excited. When I went to Taemin's fan meeting I was completely overwhelmed and out of my depth as I'd never been to a fan meet where they just sprung something like this on us. For Jonghyun's I had a little more experience in handling the overwhelming emotions and so I was able to remind myself to show him a happy face and try and project my joy and affection. I think it worked because a smile was splitting my face when I caught his eye, even though I was immediately overcome by shyness at how beautiful and sincere he looked and so I focused on our linked hands and told him: ;'You worked hard' in Korean. He said: 'Thank you' and then I was sliding my hands from his and the whole thing was over. It actually shocked me that he didn't let go. I think it was the same for a lot of the girls. It wasn't Jonghyun letting go, it was the security shepherding us on and pulling us from his hands. Does that sound crazy and delusional? It seems to suit Jonghyun somehow. Remember that fan back during Sherlock he hugged on a variety recording and refused to let go? 

At the end the SM supporter staff, who are volunteers and aren't paid for all the work they do, gripped hands with Jonghyun and he grinned as all the fans cheered and yelled for the girls we'd been working with all weekend. And then it was time for a group photo and goodbye. Jonghyun took his large jacket off to take the photo and fans immediately began complaining, saying he should keep the jacket on. He just grinned and took the photo, before dutifully slipping his jacket back on, well used to his noona fans. I found myself caught up in the crowd and complaining a little when he took the coat off too ^.^;;;;

Then he was waving and strolling off the stage, taking one last look at all of us before meandering up the stairs in his massive coat, the sinking sun bouncing off the curls of his hair. He waved one last time and then disappeared into the van. And that was the end. 

I could write paragraphs about how this fan meet made me feel. It was something so small and simple but I felt part of something bigger. I felt accepted despite all my flaws, despite Jonghyun knowing nothing about me. It was like we were there and we were part of his....something. His fans, his supporters? Something different from the every day public which consists of both friend and enemy to him. Like he could trust us to support him, where netizens, critics and non-fans might tear him apart. Whether that was what he felt, I don't know, but I believe to the bottom of my tiny, miniature little heart that he was sincerely grateful and accepting of us. And that felt better than nearly anything else he could have given us. I have a lot of insecurities as a very obviously foreign fan. There are people that think I don't have any place being SHINee's fan and supporting them like I do for whatever reason and sometimes I feel like I'm getting lost in those criticism and accusations. But it's moments like these fan meetings that SHINee defy any stereotypes about them and us and what crazy lunatics fangirls are. They don't treat us like we're stupid little girls like security does sometimes or how the general public portray us online. They just treat us like people deserving of respect for all the care and concern we give them. And that is why I cried after this fan-meeting. I walked away from that little park where SHINee held their first ever fan-meeting 6 years ago and thought: ha. I made a good life choice when I chose SHINee and Jonghyun.


8 comments:

  1. thank you so much for telling detailed all your experience.. this is really touch my heart..
    Jonghyun is my first biased in SHINee and i have been loving him for 6 years. for me it's a little sad cause i can't go to korea when finally he do his debut solo. i ever think i'm useless fans...
    after i read your story.. WOW.. Shawol who live in Korea really give the best for SHINee.. if i say i'm not envy, i'm lying..

    thank you so much.. you really show me how Jonghyun is so honest, humble, friendly to all his fans.. i proud i love him even though maybe he never know that i love him ^^. i hope someday i can support him more than i can do now..

    thank you so much for your sweet story :) :)
    i'm sorry if my english is bad -_-"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to cry, but I just can't. This is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice touching beautiful and memorable experience in life. To be ever knew that precious and respectful someone exist in life(world) and be able to met and feel something so real (ofc not in romance way) it feels i couldnt describe. I feel so touch by ur words. Means im not wrong too when i choose SHINee and Jonghyun and SHAWol. All i can showed after read yours was i overwhealmed and feel content and smile sincerely too. I feel ur sincere heart to shared even not a word by word what he said. Indeed i feel grateful he had so many supportive fans and he gave a ssupportive love too. Despite netizen antis and their critic to them and us tried to tear us appart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eonnie i hope u can share ur experience and love and respect to our boys more and often bcz i love to read it...thankyou so much for ur effort...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried a lil, so heartwarming♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for my broken English, I'm Brazilian and not dominate that language yet, but could not help commenting here. I loved everything I read and was touched me. Neither know, but I am glad to have had the opportunity to be there, supporting Jonghyun. He's my bias and I'm so proud of him right now, is performing his dream and it's so beautiful. SHINee World the support is very beautiful, it is always so grateful to us. : ')

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so touching. Thank you so much for sharing with us. <333

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing with us, this is so beautiful.. /cries/
    "I made a good life choice when I chose SHINee and Jonghyun." me too sweetheart me too TT

    ReplyDelete