Thursday 4 September 2014

Kpop is, apparently, not real music.

So there are these forums designed mainly for teachers living in Korea. We exchange teaching materials mostly but I've found a particular brand of ignorant stupid which is really surprising since everyone on these forums chose to come live in Korea. You'd expect a certain amount of open-mindedness and receptiveness from people who move to another country and take up long term residence, but no; that's not what you get.


Instead, you get posts like this:


Since I am a MAN in my 30s and I didn't enjoy Boy/girl bands in the 90s, I actually really hate them now.  I was wondering if anybody could recommend some good Korean music.  I prefer listening to independent/alternative bands.  Lots of layered sounds and harmonies.  Not just people singing/lip-syncing along with a drum machine, and I could care less about choreographed dancing.  You know, real music, made by real people with no agenda other than to make art.


So I hear this a lot. And it bothers me for a lot of reasons.

First and foremost, why does anyone make comments like this in the first place? It's not like K-pop is hurting you in anyway, why the disdain and the nastiness. I get it bro, Korean pop music isn't your scene, but I don't particularly like American country music. It's just not my thing. I don't feel the need to go in the internet and crap all over it. 

Let's be real though, it's probably not this guys fault he thinks this way. The whole concept of what is 'legit' music and what's not is something that is rampant even within the Korean music industry. I remember face palming a few years ago when Jay Park, Brian Joo and some random Korean rap artist had an extended conversation via twitter about how fake and unreal K-pop music is and how they feel so sorry for the little K-pop slaves to the industry. This is particularly rich coming from Jay Park since he wouldn't be anything without 2PM and JYP and Brian Joo who got his break in Fly to the Sky via SM. I mean anyone who knows their stories knows that they went through a huge mess with their companies, but I still feel like it's particularly rude of Jay to spit on 2PM when they're still active in the K-pop industry. 

Maybe I'm too naive but I just feel like a little respect for other people's hard work could go a long way. When you talk crap about a K-pop track, you're dissing literally hundreds of people's work. Producers, lyricists, set designers, stylists of all varieties, choreographers, not to mention the artist themselves who has been training and busting their ass off for literally years and years and years. Artists in America stumble into their fame, bring out a few tracks a year, shake their booty in a music video and make millions and millions and millions of dollars. Kpop Idols work grueling schedules, they don't sleep, they train for years and years with very little money or any guarantee that it's going to get them anywhere. But they do it because it's what they want. It's their deep seated desire to be an Idol. So what's not legitimate about their products. How is what they're doing not 'real music, made by real people'. I'm not saying this guy has to like K-pop, obviously he has a different taste in music, but a little respect goes a long way. 

Furthermore, I'm no music connoisseur but there are plenty of songs within the K-pop genre which are genuinely beautiful musical experiences. It's really hard to suggest music to this guy because we have no idea of his musical preferences, but I bet we could find music within the kpop industry that did suit his tastes. What people tend to forget is that Kpop is a term that's been loosely applied to just about all music in Korea. It doesn't take into account that there are multiple genres within Kpop. As an example; Big Bang, SHINee, Epik High, Orange Caramel, Henry, Infinite, Super Junior and BoA are all considered Kpop artists. Musically all of these groups couldn't be more different from one another. The only thing they have in common is that they all sing in Korean. Super Junior and Super Junior M have the same members with the (frankly spectacular) addition of Henry and Zhoumi in the M portion and musically they couldn't be more different.

The truly frustrating thing about this entire mess is that anyone, literally anyone, who is not a K-pop fan would read this post and blow me off. Because the fangirl stereotype is so rampant that any and all opinions we have are instantly invalidated by the mere fact that we actually happen to like K-pop music. 

I'm 23 years old, I have a university degree and a full time job. I consider myself a pretty intelligent person most days, but I will not tell certain people that I like K-pop. It's like my secret identity. I had an experience in University where I was introduced to a Korean exchange student at a UN get together I went to with a few friends. My friend was a pretty cool guy and knew I liked K-pop and so when he introduced me to his exchange student friend he started the conversation by saying I liked Korean Pop music. I felt like slapping my friend around the head, because that's never ever the first thing I want people knowing about me. Especially not when I'm being introduced to the kind of people that go to a university United Nations gathering. Luckily, I ended up doing language exchange with the same guy and we became rather close. We talked a lot and went out for coffee, usually talking about serious issues in both Korea and Australia. One day we went to eat dinner together and my friend confessed that when he heard I liked K-pop he was ready to write me off as a ditz. I really surprised him with how educated I was and that I could debate various topics and issues with him. He had literally heard the label 'K-pop fan' and written me off. It was only because we had the fortunate luck to become close friends that he discovered otherwise. 

I know plenty of girls who are hardcore SHINee or K-pop fans who are well educated, completely well adjusted human beings. I guess what I'm trying to say is, outsiders to the fangirl community should just get off our backs. Go judge someone who is actually doing something despicable, or better yet: just don't judge anyone.

I kind of curious, does anyone else have any experiences where people completely side-eye you when you say K-pop? 

3 comments:

  1. I.... have the same sentiments. Your post almost made me cry. :’(
    To start off, I'm a college degree holder, a registered professional in health and a researcher. But it always ticks me off when someone says their respect for me plummets down when they hear that i'm a KPOP fan. I actually had a really big fight with my best friend in my early shawol days, since she called me cheap and crazy. I believe, that I am capable of personal growth in my intellectual journey, but how is my taste in music and people making that kind of music affect my reputation? I agree with you, that there are a lot of genres in Korea that are worth of praise, it’s just that people just see the mainstream music that apparently not everyone appreciates, and shuts down, not giving KPOP any chance. After being a KPOP fan, I've become more open-minded and I saw how people live on stereotypes and judge prematurely.
    I'm sorry for ranting on your blog but I just can totally relate. TT_TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Whenever I tell people I feel like I have to justify it somehow by talking about the dancing talents etc. Why is is not enough for people to accept things that make us happy? Also, kpop does have it's own value and has taught me a lot. I wish people wouldn't be so judgmental of something they don't know/understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really annoying how every outsider immediately looks down upon k-pop without even giving it a chance. They judge the entirety of kpop with just one song, one music video, one idol! It really pisses me off. When I introduce myself to new friends I hesitate to say that I like kpop because I'm afraid they'll think I'm crazy or weird. Like what's so wrong about liking music in a different language?! People keep on arguing "you don't even understand what they're saying" and whatnot and wtf so what! When listening to a song, what do you give attention to first and foremost? It's the tune, the vibe, the melody, the catchiness, the beat, etc, not the freaking meaning. I mean yeah the meaning/deepness whatever of the song counts but you have to admit that people give the former more attention when listening to a new song. Admit it kpop haters you don't even give an f about songs' meanings at the first listen. The point is, knowing the meaning of the song/the presence of language barrier doesn't pose as much of a big wall when liking music. Primarily it's how much you enjoy listening to it. Trans can just be looked up later if you're really interested in meanings. As if other kinds of music talk about 'beautiful things' all the time. Most popular music are just about girls and making out and big butts and everything, and yet everybody jams along anyway. >.> Looks like I've deviated so much from the topic but I just get so angry sometimes when it comes to this. >< People are so quick to judge others who don't like the same things they do. We're not supposed to conform to what you guys like okay. We are free to like whatever we freaking want. We don't side-eye YOU for liking stuff you do so pls don't even with us.

    ReplyDelete