Sunday 15 June 2014

Key's completely awesome and here's a few reasons why.

Been writing a lot of research-y fandom issue serious business posts lately so I wanted to do something a little fun. I've been rewatching a few old fancams lately and decided I wanted to compile a few videos I totally adore so here we have it: The Key appreciation post ^.^

I have a lot of love for the rest of SHINee so I think I'll throw together a few posts like this for destress purposes in the future. ^.^

I dunno about you guys, but one of my favorite things come concert time is anticipating what sort of solo work SHINee's going to pump out. I'm very rarely disapointed. When SHINee World Concert 3 rolled around and there was no solos I couldn't actually bring myself to be too upset because we got solos at SHINee's Anniversary showcase and The Wizard.



Cover of Take A Bow by Rihanna



This video was practically sent from the gods. I'm starting with this one because it might be my favorite Key solo of all time. It really is completely gorgeous. I love how into this song Key is. His English gives me complete full body shivers and the way he casually strips off that leopard print scarf at the beginning, and then the jacket later is just a celebration of everything that's beautiful about Key's body language. I love the way Key emotes; he's a true performer and this is a really good, early example of the spark Kim Kibum has on stage.
Bonus points for all the girls going completely mental when he takes his jacket off keke.


Cover of Boom Boom Pow by Black Eyed Peas


So I know a lot of people had a lot of things to say about this cover, however short it was, but I loved it. I love any time Key shows off his beautiful English pronunciation (does this count as a fetish maybe O.o). I also love how much attitude he has. Again it's a really awesome showcase of Key's stage presence and charisma. Key rapping really is such a treat OTL.
Bonus points for how cute and into Key's rapping Jonghyun and his other SHINee boys are.


Cover of Just Dance by Lady Gaga


This is actually the whole of SHINee but I think I nearly screamed when I saw they'd covered Lady Gaga. I love Lady Gaga so much. She's amazing. There was a bit of controversy surrounding this performance because SHINee's choreographer apparently stole this choreography from a somewhat youtube famous dance group. Which unfortunately overshadowed how freaking awesome this is. I love the ridiculous costumes. They all look so freaking adorable and tiny to my eyes now. At the time I remember I hated Taemin's outfit with a burning passion: now I kind of look back on it fondly and giggle ^.^;;; I also adore how Gaga-esque Key looks in his sunglasses and patchy, metallic, glittery, geometric ensemble. As always, SHINee kill it with their stage presence.
Bonus points for Super Junior and SNSD awkwardly pretending to be in a club in the background o.O. Double Bonus points for Sungmin who is adorably into his SHINee dongsaengs.

Cover of Hair and Judas by Lady Gaga




While we're on the topic of Lady Gaga; I think this performance actually changed my life. Call me insane, I don't care. I think I was lying on the ground and sobbing when the tweets starting coming out from SWC2 and people were saying Key was covering Lady Gaga's Hair and Judas. Had the very extremely fortunate opportunity to see SWC2 in Singapore with a very close friend. To this day probably the best vacation I've ever been on ^.^ My friend is a HUGE Taemin fan so I got to hold her when him and Jonghyun performed Internet War and she was probably making sure I was still breathing when Key came out to do Hair. I mentioned earlier I love Lady Gaga and I feel like she's such an opinionated, passionate artist. It's fascinating that Key obviously has respect and admiration for her work and I like to think it's a reflection of his open mindedness and his compassion and respect. Say what you like about Lady Gaga but she's an amazing woman in my opinion and so is Kim Kibum.
Completely immature of me, but bonus points for getting to hear Key say 'ear condom'

This is a shorter fancam but beautiful and clear. There are tonnes more on youtube with the full performance!

Xiahtic by DBSK's Junsu featuring Kibum


After that brief detour into the future let's rewind back to 2009 when Key made a surprise appearance in DBSK Junsu's self composed solo from their Mirotic tour. Once upon a time I was completely in love with DBSK, before SHINee so I was pleasantly surprised when Key popped up here. I have a feeling it was part of SM's usual ploy to make a united SM Town fandom out of individual fan groups. I have this theory that their master plan is to unite all SM groups fans and make an army o.O. But conspiracy theories aside, I don't think Key and Junsu are particularly close friends so much as coworkers so this was adorably awkward to my mind. Especially since at the time SHINee and girls was just....no. No. Nowadays Key's kissed and touched so many sexy older women we don't even blink anymore but seeing baby Key surrounded by dirty dancers makes me laugh uncomfortably now.

The Key action starts at about 3:25.

Bonus points for Junsu and Key awkwardly body rolling at each other. At the time I was sobbing and rolling around but with age and hindsight it just makes me giggle ^.^;;;

Cover of Barbie Girl by Jessica featuring Key



While we're on the topic of Baby Key featuring in fellow SM concerts, we can't leave this sparkling gem out. Never mind that Jessica probably made a bad choice doing Barbie Girl because....well I don't think Aqua were being all that innocent when they wrote the lyrics >.> This makes me cringe and giggle and squeal all at the same time. I would absolutely love to show Key this video now and watch him die of embarrassment. He's completely adorable and his English certainly isn't up to the standard it is now, but I think that's what makes it so cute ^.^;;;

Bonus points for the adorable little butt wiggle in the awkwardly cute choreo OTL ....and the way Key kind of maybe looks like his soul is dying while singing Ken's parts kekeke


Cover of Like a G6 by Far East Movement


Key jamming to this at all the various SM Town's this was performed at was absolute gold. One of the things I totally adore about him is that when he's performing he completely let's go and gives it his all. He doesn't bother with being self conscious or worrying about looking silly. He just lets go and feels it and it makes watching him a total joy to watch.



This. fancam. gah.

The way Key crosses one beautiful leg over the other. The blue Doc Martens, the multi-coloured cow print jacket. The spunky sunglasses and the way his soft cotton candy pink, caramel blonde hair floats around his face like he's an angel descent from heaven to warn us that we sober girls be acting drunk around him and it's completely natural. The attitude as he pulls of his sunglasses and proceeds to lay on his tummy on the stage and pierce our souls through the camera with his beautiful cat-like gaze ㅠ.ㅠ ㅠ.ㅠ ㅠ.ㅠ ㅠ.ㅠ This is the bonus.


Cover of We Are Golden by Mika



I was blessed enough to see this one live as well at SHINee's 5th Anniversary party last year. Key was the last solo performance for the night and at that point we SHAWols had already been on an emotional roller coaster. Jonghyun was finally back just in time for the anniversary after his unfortunate traffic accident circa Why So Serious era and Onew had brought half the room to tears with his In Your Eyes performance. Minho had everyone squealing and rolling around and hitting friends and neighbors alike with his adorable rendition of One Day and Taemin did a cover of the classic Seoshi (which is one of my fav songs ever so I was really really excited~!Links here, I really love this Taemin solo SO SO much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcTmHgTLK_g) And then Key, who at this point we'd mostly come to expect female pop song covers from, completely shocked the entire room with this golden little number.

I think my friend who was sitting next to me still has scars from where I grabbed her arm and just about died. This might be the ultimate example of why I have so much respect for Key as a stage performer. A completely ridiculous post came from this solo that slammed Key's singing ability (I have so much to say about that, first of which being that the performance is only available in fancam form so therefore only available distorted and covered in screaming), but that's not even the point of this performance. The point is that beyond just singing, Key is able to embody a character on stage and bring it to life. More than being a singer, he's a performer. He can grab people's attention above and keep it and everything he does is so thorough and well thought out from the costuming to the character. He also seems to have a passion for youth anthems, songs like Lady Gaga's Hair, Mika's We Are Golden and Katie Perry's Firework. I think this post is just a pile of gushy nonsense at the end of the day, but that's just how much love and respect Key is able to inspire in this little old fangirl ^.^

Cover with Jonghyun of Daeng Daeng Daeng by Supreme Team


Once again Key blew all expectations of him out of the water by doing this hit song with our dearly talented and equally obnoxiously heart palpitation inducing Kim Jonghyun. This song by Supreme Team was super popular in Korea, I heard it all over the place just playing in shops and restaurants. It's such a fun song but not something I ever would have anticipated from Key or Jjong. It was completely hysterical and I should probably add that this entire concert was like a constant state of nirvana. The Wizard was honestly the funnest event I have ever been too and it just felt like we were at a party with SHINee and we were all jamming together. I don't think I need to say much more about this, it really does speak for itself. The costuming was also SO much fun.

Bonus: Jonghyun tripping out of his little car and telling Key to 'Hurry up!' in his completely adorable English.....Also Jonghyun revisiting his Internet War look with a Christmas twist.....And the infamous 'I say Jjong, you say Key! Jjong! Key! Jjong! Key!'

Cover of Bang Bang by Will I Am


This is completely adorable. I adore the way Key is so comfortable in his skin, so comfortable with English and the way his voice wraps around this melody and these lyrics so gorgeously. This was so much fun and I'm really glad he got the opportunity to do this special stage with the gorgeous Miss Tiffany~! One of the things I love about this stage is that Key looks like he's just having a lot of fun doing it. He has a really fun, casual energy with Tiffany and he did a pretty awesome interpretation of Will I Am's really distinct style. Another proof of Key's diversity as a performer ^.^  Also the choreography in here is stupidly cute, as is the bridge where Key sings 'Oooooooh yeah~! I love my baby!'

Bonus points for Key in a top hat. I mean really, just sit and absorb and appreciate how beautiful it is OTL. Also his infamous manner hands when handling Tiffany. Gah they get me every time; something so sexy about a man with a good set of manner hands ㅠ.ㅠ

Cover of A Story of a Couple in Their 60's


There are some gorgeous performances by the whole of SHINee as well as a beautiful interview in this video but my favourite part is at 13:10 when Key covers something completely different from his normal style. I am completely charmed, bewitched, ensnared by the way his warm, rich voice washes over this song beautifully. It really is a complete pleasure to listen to and the way you can hear his smile while he sings is completely enchanting. I am so in love with this little cover, which is why I left it for almost last. It's also an example of how he sounds in his musicals and how much his musical involvement has improved, enriched and enhanced his unique vocals. I have no words for Key's gorgeous expression at the end.

Bonus points for SHINee playing around like sweet little boys during Key's performance and the for how charmed Yoo Heeyeol is by Key's singing. Extra bonus points for Jjong and Taemin fanboying Key.

And last but not least: Key and Taemin covering Do It Well and SHINee covering Run it by Chris Brown




This video still makes a profound depth of feelings well up inside me. It was the first time we laid eyes on SHINee really and I remember sitting at my computer back when I was in high school and being so impressed by Taemin and Key. I was so so excited when they re-covered this dance routine again on Idol Army with 2pm years later. I love the passion in their dance, you can practically see it radiating from them. This is the SHINee that was still filled with youthful enthusiasm and determination. They've grown comfortable in their role and become a completely different kind of beautiful, grown so much as artists and people. But it's sometimes nice to reflect back on what they were and see how far they've come. I love this performance so much and it was the first time I fell under the spell of Key's beautiful bushy little eyebrows and his passionate dancing. Key really is a jack of all trades.


I really wanted to share Key's cover of Firework but the only video's I could find online were re-upload's of fansites video's so I couldn't include them. I'm not sure, but I think the re-uploads I saw were ripped from fansite dvds so I really don't want to include them here. They are on youtube though and go check them out, because they're also amazing.

So to wrap this post up I want to ask: are there any Key solos I missed that you guys love? Which ones your favourite? What video made you fall in love with SHINee? I'd love to know in the comments down below or via twitter~!

9 comments:

  1. urgghhh my comment got eaten.

    any vid links for Run It and Do It Well?

    you were at SWC2 Singapore?! that was my first SWC! i was so worried i'd be the only working adult in a sea of teens and stick out keke.

    Key's collab with Tiffany was awesome. Easy chemistry unlike some other SoSHINee collabs which veered on the awkward keke (Onew & Tiffany for the SNSD concert, Minho & Yuri for their dance performance). They totally nailed it.

    And the Jongkey collab was awesome as well - didn't think we'd ever get one, plus it featured Jjong rapping, which was different. So jealous you got to see them perform that live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol my comment was before the links were updated keke. never mind that first question then!

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure about SG exactly but I find being a SHINee fan in Korea infinitely less awkward than other fandoms. They tend to have older fans which makes it less awkward for me OTL

      I think Key's just good at girls kekeke Minho and Onew still strike me as a little awkward with the opposite sex. Typical dudes~~

      JongKey was unexpectedly amazing. Unexpected in that I didnt think theyd do a JongKey duet either ^.^;;; It was absolutely phenomenal live OTL I dont know how the entire room of SHAWols walked out alive.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more with you. I love all the performances you listed here. I wanna add this performance: Key and IU collaboration. I was so impressed by him that i turned to be a Locket until now <3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMJsLx5qBk0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah of course this collaboration was so impressive! I love when he busts out the rapping, his voice really is beautifully suited to it!

      Delete
    2. oh, and i love his performance with BoA - I did it for love, too <3 He's so manly there

      Delete
  3. I love this post so much! I agree with all of it and could talk about these performances almost-eternally (guess who my bias is :D). I'll pick only a few to add onto all the ones you mentioned: ummm, I love Key's live collab with BoA at SMTown concerts (I did it for love?), that really random collab with IU during Hello Baby era (Love letter to you, part 1), his London showcase solo (I don't particularly care for Tik Tok as a song, but I loved his energy and stage presence, I'm so jealous of the girls right at the front :3), his SimSimTaPa radio cover of Trax's Embrace One's Soul (one of the first instances I heard his voice singing solo, it's captivating, and baby!SHINee is just the cutest thing), and his little bathtube ukelele (?) serenade to Bonnie (I have no idea what it's called and I've only seen a couple fancams but it's beautiful and makes my heart tremble ^_^)!

    I've been lurking on your blog for a few days since I found a reference/link to it (on a tumblr post, it's so serendipitous to have found you!) and I just wanna say that I appreciate all the thought and detail and effort you put into your posts whether it's giving tours of a shopping neighborhood or cross-culturally explaining the thoughts within the fandom. For this post in particular, I love how you chose performances that emphasized Key as a performer! I agree a thousand times over and just barely refrained from cheering aloud when I got to your comment about his We Are Golden performance and that article written about his singing! I think I've read it too, wow, was that over a year ago?? At the time I think I just shook my head and hoped no one else took it too seriously... >.<

    Lastly, fetish or not, I agree wholeheartedly: Key's English is undeniably attractive <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw man I really wanted to add the Bath scene from Bonnie and Clyde. The song is called Bonnie and it gives me chills. But it's kind of naughty that those fancams exist. I mean people aren't meant to take fancams at concerts either, but since musicals are not a SHINee event per se it's kind of a grey area. So I didn't add ^.^;;;

      Uh oh people are linking me on tumblr o.O I hope it's only good things ^.^ Regarding the We Are Golden article, I have to admit with a little shame that that article made me beyond furious. I was so so so angry about it even though I knew it was a bs troll article >.> Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it made me sick on Key's behalf and on behalf of all his hard work. sigh sigh sigh.....see I got all riled up ㅠ.ㅠ

      Thanks for the support and for taking the time to read through everything ^.^ ~~ Much appreciated <3

      Delete
  4. While reading through your whole post, my reactions are all like 'OH OH THIS!! aww I loveeee this too' & 'oohhhh i love this too!!!' But ur last video sharing of shinee's run it and do it well makes me stop and pause for awhile. It feels so so long ago that Ive watch that video. Its one of the first few videos of shinee that ive seen and ahhhh i really fell head over heels for them that time. Still do but ya, you get what I mean :)
    Thanks for putting all this awesome key fancams together. I'll definitely come back here to check him out from time to time, not just to see how much he (or shinee) have grown but also to embrace kim kibum's awesomeness. Thank you~

    ReplyDelete